Villefranche-sur-Mer is a beautiful town in the province of France located very close to Nice. It is a small but a picturesque place on the French Riviera. In fact, the town has a reputation standing on the same line with nice, Monaco or Saint Tropez.
French people and tourist from all over the world come to Villefranche-sur-Mer to spend a vacation here. It has clean, though not very sandy, beaches, and the sea of incredible colours. If you have never been to Villefranche-sur-Mer, you should go and see its beauty for yourself. Recently people have started to buy apartments and houses in Villefranche-sur-Mer via real estate website that offers the best prices and option. What could be better than having a nice cottage near the sea?
The Best Places to See in Villefranche-sur-Mer
Even though Villefranche-sur-Mer is a small town, it also has must-visit places. Not all of them are typical tourists spots but worth being seen.
- Sea front and the harbor are probably the main attractions of the town. This is the location of small and cozy restaurants, cafes and small pubs. People love to come here in the evening to relax or take a stroll by the sea.
- Beaches are equally good for adults and kids as the slope from the shore is gradual. The beaches are covered with pebbles, they are not sandy, but this does not seem to be a problem for most tourists.
- Churches and monuments are very old and create ancient atmosphere. The most popular is Chapel Saint- Pierre built in baroque style. Every year the church is visited by dozens of tourists.
- Most buildings in Villefranche-sur-Mer are old or recently renewed. You will not see any skyscrapers or very modern buildings because they simply will not fit into the overall landscape. One of the most popular buildings in the town is 16th-century citadel- fortress located on the hill. Now, this is the home of governmental offices.
- There are several art museums in Villefranche-sur-Mer. It is interesting to note that entrance to all museums in the town is free. Volti museum is probably the most visited museum. It displays bronze sculptures made by Antoniucci Volti.
- As the town is located at the seacoast, it is obvious that there are plenty of restaurants with delicious seafood. One of the most well-known in Villefranche-sur-Mer is La Mere Germaine. The restaurant was founded in 1938 and is famous due to its outstanding menu. If you love something more traditional, you should visit La Grignotiere. This restaurant is much cheaper and offers conventional French and Italian cuisine.
It looks like Villefranche-sur-Mer is a cozy town with a lot of attracting places. When traveling across France, it is worth including Villefranche-sur-Mer on the list of towns and cities that should be visited and explored. If you have such opportunity, do not miss it as you will not regret.